I know it’s August and your thinking back to school, not sunblock! However, I have been on a mission to switch out old chemical laden products with homemade good for you products. Well, we just ran out of your old sunblock and still have Labor Day events that will need sunblock. I thought I would need to make sunblock much sooner in the summer, however, our family doesn’t use much sunblock. Yes, even with 5 kids we don’t use much sunblock! Why you may ask?? There are a few reasons we don’t use much sunblock, one is our skin is our largest organ and easily absorbs toxins and most sunblocks you buy over the counter are loaded with chemicals. Second, our body needs vitamin D and that is absorbed from the sun! Allowing moderate time out in the sun without sunblock is so important for us northern folks! We only have a few short months to take advantage of God’s natural vitamin D! However, also living in the land of 10,000 lakes means that there will be days we need sunblock or we will be a fried critter!
Once we ran out of our old sunblock I started my search for water-resistant sunblock. I found a great recipe on http://holisticsquid.com/homemade-sunscreen/. I liked the recipe she gave and only made a few small changes! Making homemade sunblock is super simple once you gather the ingredients!! To the left is a pic of all the items you will need to gather to make it: Coconut Oil, Zinc Oxide Powder (non-nano), Raw Shea Butter, Beeswax, Olive Oil, Grater, Container to put sunblock in, 2 pots or double boiler, spoon or spatula.
Here is a Pic of my homemade double boiler! This works great and there is no need to store another pot I only would pull out once in a while! You just need two different sized pots and a little water to the bottom one and away you go!
Water Resistant Sunscreen
(makes 1 cup homemade sunscreen)
- 2 ounces (aprox. 1/4 cup)beeswax – get it here
- 2 ounces(aprox 1/4 cup) raw shea butter –get it here
- 2 ounces coconut oil (aprox 1/4 cup) –get it here
- 2 ounces liquid oil (aprox 1/4 cup) – I used Olive Oil –get it here
- 2 ounces zinc (aprox 1/4 cup) – get it here
- Double boiler (Or homemade one)
- Container for sunblock
Homemade sunscreen method
- Finely grate the beeswax and weigh or measure the grated bits to 2 ounces.
- In a double boiler, melt the beeswax, cocoa butter, and coconut oil until liquid. Remove from heat.
- Slowing whisk in the zinc, stirring until all lumps are gone. When this mixture is slightly cooled, stir in the liquid oil until well combined.
- Use a butter knife to scoop the sunscreen into containers.
Comment Below any questions you have about recipe or if you made your own and how it turned out!!